William Morris, later Lord Nuffield, was an Oxford cycle agent when he launched his first Morris Oxford light car in 1913. By 1925 Morris were British market leaders taking over from Ford’s Model T with their Cowley and Oxford models, selling 54,000 cars in that year.
Mass production of the famous ‘bullnose’ models enabled Morris to lower costs to his customers. In 1920 a Cowley cost £465 but by 1929 the same car, but now with four wheel brakes and a flat radiator, cost just £185.
The Cowley used a 1.5 litre engine driving a 3 speed gearbox through a wet clutch while the Oxford had a 1.8 litre engine and slightly more refined specification. The example displayed is very original and has been preserved until recently by an enthusiastic local owner, complete with its remarkable Morris Cowley service kit.
This is perhaps how a hard working Cowley may have looked when being serviced prior to World War II. The museum plans to return this car to good working condition whilst retaining its original patina